lily & chew banner

Friday 22 June 2007

Fresh tomato juice. The hardest thing to find.



It's Friday after work. My fella has been away all day drinking steadily at a work do, which I guess means I've got a lot of catching up to do, so it's just a well I'm desperate for a Bloody Mary.

I have all the ingredients I need to make this happen...except for the tomato juice. I stop in a M+S. Nope. Nothing. I decide to drop into the Sainsburys in Angel. Once inside, I realise that one does not simply 'drop in' to this supermarket that is the size of a small city.
After walking around in circles for 45 minutes picking up stuff I don't need, I remember why I'm there. I search for it in the juice aisle. Nothing. I ask the dude for assistance, partly knowing that he won't have the answer I need (I have already searched the chilled section high and low for this elusive nectar of the nightshades).
Wait! He begins walking with a sense of purpose - this could be it?? - I follow him as he leads me 2 kilometres from the refrigerators to the long life 100% concentrate juice.

The silent scream in my head is so loud I almost lapse into a coma.

I will not let Sainsburys get between me and my Bloody Mary. I purchase 2 packs of cherry tomatoes so I can make my own tomato juice.


MY BLOODY MARY EXPERIMENT

What you need

A big packet of cherry tomatoes
A food processor
celery
ice
tabasco
mushroom ketchup or Worcestershire, if you take it
wasabi

The do
Empty the whole packet of tomatoes into food processor. Blitz. It will go a pale, milky, reddy colour which is very disconcerting. Ignore this and continue regardless. Grab a cocktail shaker, add lots of ice, a few drops of mushroom sauce a splodge of wasabi, a double shot of vodka (for all the effort you've gone to) and a few shakes of Tabasco. Shake well.

Pour into a tall glass and garnish with celery.



Note: The celery is the only thing that gives this drink any cred. It tastes OK but consistency is wrong, wrong, WRONG. It's like someone was making a banana smoothie and accidentally added a whole lot of tomatoes and vodka instead.

Next time I'll just get the concentrate.

No comments: