lily & chew banner

Tuesday 13 February 2007

A meatless Spag Bol a meat lover would love



Everyday at 1.40pm we go to the staff cafe to watch Neighbours. Sometimes we get our lunch from the canteen (always a cheap but regrettable decision), sometimes we bring it from home.



The other day Guy bought in some leftover Spag Bol, and I was instantly envious of his meal, but not so envious over the meat it contained.
I asked myself, "How long has it been since I had Spag Bol?".
The answer: Too long.

So here it is, my meatless take on the Italian classic.

2 big chopped onions
big splash of olive oil
1 packet of frozen soy protein or TVP prepared as per instructions on box
3 bay leaves
2 stock cubes ( I use Kallo veg)
Herbs (I used rosemary because I have some growing on my windowsill and I use it any chance I get. If you don't have fresh herbs, a few generous shakes of mixed herbs works fine too)
1 teaspoon sugar
about 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Salt
Pepper

In a large pot, fry onion in the oil on medium heat.
Add the soy mince, stir, add half a cup of water. Stir.
Add everything else.
Turn the heat down as low as it will go - leave the lid off. The idea is to reduce it down for at least an hour. This will eliminate the weird cardboard flavour in the soy/TVP, and make the sauce thick, rich and tasty.
Taste it and stir every now and then. Add salt and pepper as you see fit.



Ladle onto your favourite pasta. I like thin spaghetti. Top with fresh herbs like parsley or basil. Add some toasted some pinenuts.
For the dairy tolerant: grate some Parmesan over the top

TIP: Tastes even better the next day!

No comments: